EuroPython is organized and run by volunteers from the Python community, but we're only a few and need your help to make the show run as smoothly as possible, so we'd appreciate more help from the EuroPython attendees, if possible.
This page explains some of the tasks we have available for you.
Being a volunteer means to give your time for free, without expecting anything back, just for the pleasure of being a part of this amazing conference.
In return, we will have a small number of perks for you, some small gifts to say "thank you" for your time and for your help.
Things to remember
- To enter the conference you need a ticket
- You can sign up to any tasks on our Volunteer App before you have bought a ticket
- You will not earn a ticket for being a volunteer
How to sign up
- Sign up to the europython-volunteers Telegram group.
Feel free to ask any questions related to volunteering in the TG group.
- Sign up to our EuroPython 2020 Volunteer App
- Assign yourself to available shifts on the management page (first come, first served)
Perks for volunteers
- Get an awesome EuroPython Volunteer T-Shirt that you can keep and show off to your friends and a mention on the website to stay there forever :-) (1 slot activity)
- A special group photo with all volunteers (1 slot activity; time will be announced on the TG group)
These are the shifts for talk and room managers and the guidelines for these tasks.
Summary of tasks
- Answer lots of questions
- Help with social event tickets, workshops, etc.
- Help with print outs, lost items, calls, etc.
- Good English skills are mandatory
- This job involves a lot of talking and smiling
- Hand out registration badges
- Check student IDs
- Register On-Desk tickets and day passes
- Answer general questions
- This job involves a lot of talking
T-Shirt and Swag Bag Handout
- Hand out the conference bags and t-shirts
- This job involves standing and lifting light items
- Help speakers in preparing their notebooks for the talks
- Introduce the speakers to the audience
- Signal time left to the speakers
- Make sure talks are finished on time
- Moderate Q&A session and help with passing around microphones
- This job involves speaking in front of people, moderation, and walking with a microphone
- Help speakers with any technical issues, possibly contacting venue staff for additional help
- Make sure the rooms are in suitable state for the session (temperature, cleanliness, no lose cables, etc.)
- Make sure the doors are closed during the sessions
- This job involves being good at fire fighting, friendly and diligent to make sure that the sessions are run in an organized way
Set Up/Tear Down
- Helping hands are needed to set up the stage before the conference starts (Monday morning)
- Also on the last day (Friday afternoon for the main conference, Sunday for the sprints) to clear up the venue afterwards
- This job involves walking and carrying items
- There are always some tasks which we simply cannot plan beforehand:
- moving chairs, tables, or poster walls,
- guiding groups between the two venues,
- arranging transfers between venue and airport, etc.
- Please leave your contact details with the support work group, so that we can contact you in case necessary.
Why be a EuroPython Volunteer?
- To help the EuroPython organizers keep the conference affordable for everyone
- Show your EuroPython support to the Python community (by wearing your exclusive T-Shirt)
- Get a huge applause during the closing session of the conference
- Get your name on our EuroPython 2020 Team page to stay there forever.
How much work is involved?
- There are different tasks with different time required
- Each task is related with the concept of slot
- You can sign up to any number of them.
What kind of qualifications do I need?
- You should be able to speak some English.
- If you speak additional languages, even better. Please let us know.
- Have time between two talks? Then why not spend it as an EuroPython Volunteer?
Ask for help
- If you run into any problems, please ask in the Telegram group or contact our email@example.com for any information you may need.